Colds are common infections of the nose and throat that can be caused by more than 200 different, highly contagious viruses.
You are likely to pick up at least one or two colds a year, usually from the coughs and sneezes of infected people.
Children are even more susceptible because they have not built up immunity to cold viruses.
Typical symptoms are;
- Blocked or runny nose
- Reduced sense of taste and smell,
- A sore throat,
- A dry cough,
- And mild fever.
Colds can be more serious in babies and elderly people.
Self Help For Cold
Most people recover from a cold within a week, but there are things you can do to make yourself feel better in the meantime.
- Drink at least 8 glasses of warm liquids a day such as herbal teas and clear soups.
- Avoid tea and coffee.
- To relieve a sore throat, make a warm HONEY and LEMON drink.
Take an analgesic or a cold remedy to relieve discomfort.
- Try a steam inhalation to clear a stuffy nose.
- You can also use saline nose drops or a decongestant.
- Use paper tissues rather than handkerchiefs to blow your nose.
- If your nose is sore, try tissues with soothening ingredients such as aloe vera.
Antihistamines may help to relieve a runny nose and reduce sneezing.
- You may be able to speed your recovery by taking ZINC, and relieve the worst symptoms of a cold with echinacea.
So don’t smoke , and avoid smoky environments