“Then his father and his mother said unto him, Is there never a woman among the daughters of thy brethren, or among all my people, that thou goest to take a wife of the uncircumcised Philistines? And Samson said unto his father, Get her for me; for she pleaseth me well.” Judges 14:3
The basic key to a good marriage is dependent largely on making the right choice right from the beginning. When we make the wrong choice we may virtually have to spend the whole time doing damage control.
What are some of the basic principles that can aid us? The principles that determined Samson’s choice can help us, we can learn from his mistakes. Let’s examine them.
1. The “godly counsel” of other people especially your parents, matter. “His father and his mother said unto him”. Someone said “love is blind but marriage will open your eyes.” Fortunately the other people are not in love so they can see more clearly.
2. Choose a Christian. Samson did not. “Thou goest to take a wife of the uncircumcised Philistines.”
3. Don’t choose someone just because you are in love. There are more serious considerations like character. Samson said “Get her for me; for she pleaseth me well.
4. Choose someone of kindred spirit. “Brethren” This means someone who is similar to you. You share the same interests, passion, views, lifestyle, background, ideas etc. This helps in companionship and fellowship.
5. Finally depend on the Holy Spirit.
By Kakra Baiden.