For many Ghanaians, eating of tiger nuts (or Atadwe) is considered a snack that aids, according to village wisdom, “manpower”. Tiger nuts, however, have many more benefits than we may know. Here are few to note;
1. It prevent constipation since it is rich in fibre.
2. It has necessary essential minerals; calcium, magnesium and iron necessary for bones, tissues repairs, muscles and the blood stream. It is also a rich source of proteins and carbohydrates.
3. Tiger nuts contain a good quantity of vitamin B1 which assists in balancing the central nervous system and helps to encourage the body to adapt to stress.
4. It supplies the body with enough quantity of Vitamin E, very essential for fertility in both men and women.
5. It is excellent for colitis and assists proper digestion. In China, chufa juice is used as a liver tonic, heart stimulant, drank to heal serious stomach pain, to promote normal menstruation, to heal mouth and gum ulcers, use in Ayurvedic medicines and is a powerful aphrodisiac (sexual stimulant).
So atadwe is not just for men as we have grown up believing. Feel free to enjoy your tiger nuts anyhow you want!