Haemorrhoids (Piles) locally known as “Kookoo” in Ghana, are swollen blood vessels in or around the anus and rectum area. This condition can affect anybody at any age. Though haemorrhoids may be inherited, there are no certain causes of haemorrhoids. However, this condition is very common in older persons and pregnant women. There are two types of Haemorrhoids – the internal and external.
Haemorrhoids mostly come about by a lot of pressure being exerted on the abdomen. Thus, an increased pressure within the blood vessels that cause swellings. This makes the veins swell and make it prone to irritability. Below are some common causes of Haemorrhoids:
COMMON CAUSES OF HAEMORRHOIDS (PILES)
- Coughing, Sneezing and Vomiting
- Low fibre diet
- Standing and sitting for very long periods
- Diarrhea and Constipation
- Colon cancer
- Spinal cord injury
There are other causes associated to this condition aside the following above. To be able to identify this condition, it is important to know the symptoms of haemorrhoids (piles). Some experiences include the following:
- A red swollen lump around or near the anus.
- Constant itching and soreness around your anus.
- Bleeding from the anus (Easily visible on toilet paper or faeces).
- Pain or discomfort when using the toilet.
- A mucus discharge from your anus.
HELPFUL PREVENTIVE METHODS FOR HAEMORRHOIDS (PILES)
Preventing haemorrhoids is much suffer that treating it. Due to it reoccurring again after a first experience. Below are some helpful tips to help you prevent possible chances of suffering from Haemorrhoids.
- Sufficient intake of fluids (To prevent constipation).
- A healthy balanced diet with lots of fibre rich foods.
- Cut down on excess starchy foods.
- Regular exercising to help you maintain a healthy body weight.
You can go see a health specialist to examine you in case you are not sure of what is happening to you.