October is the month specially chosen to support women with breast cancer worldwide.
Records show about 1.38 million new cases and 458 000 deaths from breast cancer each year.
In Ghana, over 6000 cases where reported this year with over 1000 deaths recorded. This makes breast cancer by far the most common cancer that affects women worldwide, both in advanced and developing countries.
There is still less knowledge on the causes of breast cancer. Some facts are yet to be scientifically proven. For this reason, everyone is advised to see a specialist immediately there are signs leading to the disease. Since it can be cured when detected in its early stages.
Signs to look out for:
- Lump in the breast or underarm which persists after your menstrual cycle. This is noted as the first apparent symptom of breast cancer. The lumps may be painless with a prickly feeling when touched.
- A swelling in the armpit.
- Pain or tenderness in the breast.
- A sudden change in the size, shape, texture and temperature of the breast. A reddish surface like that of an orange could be a sign of a growing level of breast cancer.
- A change in the nipple like; itching, rashes and mostly a burning sensation. Unusual discharge from the nipple that may be clear, bloody, or another color.
- A hard area that is distinctly different from any other area on both breast.
- Painful vein growth around the breast.
Whether you experience these signs or not, it is very necessary to get get examined. Once you are not pregnant, in your menstrual cycle or having adverse reaction from any medication. Your health is very important, so it necessary to take care of anything connected to it.