The Ministry of Music is one of the most vital ministries in the local church and should be viewed as a sacred office. Discovering your call begins with a DESIRE to be used by God to impact the local church and the world around you.
There are two words that will help you understand the call and vision God has for your music ministry.
Call: A divine appointment to ministry or service.
Vision: A supernatural revelation that conveys the plan and purpose of God.
Webster’s New World Dictionary defines vision as a mental image, the ability to perceive something not actually visible, as through mental acuteness or keen foresight.
The following outline is designed to help you discern where you are and to navigate where you need to be.
1. You must belong to a local church (Heb. 10:25). No church, no ministry!
2. You must be in good-standing with your church. (Mat. 18:15-17).
Twelve Steps To Discovering Your Call:
1. Know that you’re a vital part of the body of Christ. No one else can do what YOU do, you are unique and an essential part of the body of Christ (Rom. 12:4-5, 1 Cor. 12:12-21).
2. Seek the Lord for a vision (Prov. 3:6). Know the nature of music ministry the Lord has called you to (church choir, worship-team, prison, studio, etc.).
3. Entrust your vision to God (Prov. 16:3). The Amplified Bible states, “He will cause your thoughts to become agreeable to his will.”
4. Share your vision with people you can trust (Prov. 11:14; 12:15; 15:22). Wise counsel provides safeguards in your life. You can seek counsel from your Pastor, a Minister of Music or a Friend.
5. Surround yourself with people that share your vision (I Cor. 3:9). You should not be working for God ALONE, find someone to help you launch and develop your ministry.
6. Stay in an atmosphere of teaching and training, (Eph. 4:11, 12). Keep yourself exposed to sound biblical teaching. The key word here is “Sound;” that which is suitable for practical Christian living.
7. Seek to glorify God (Col. 3:17). This is an ATTITUDE. Your motive must be pure. The phrase “in the name of” means, to express the thoughts, or speak with the authority of the named individual. To glorify God literally means to DEMONSTRATE HIS ATTRIBUTES.
8. Be ministry minded (Mat. 20:28). Be sensitive to the NEEDS of the people. Your sensitivity to people is solely based on your sensitivity to God.
9. Depend on the Spirit of God to empower you (1 Sam. 16:11-23). The anointing of God is essential to you functioning in the Ministry of Music. When you’re anointed by God, other people can VERIFY it (vs. 18). You will be identified as one whom God is with (vs. 18).
10. Maintain a life of purity (2 Tim. 2:19-21; 2 Cor. 7:1). Right-living insures your usefulness to God.
11. Don’t neglect your gift (1 Tim. 4:14). The gift that God has given you is to be GIVEN AWAY! The body of Christ is depending on your contribution to the kingdom of God.
12. Keep your family BEFORE your ministry. Maintain balance between family and ministry. Be careful not to do ministry at the expense of your family. There’s a difference between serving God and serving God so much that you are neglecting your family. The Lord never intended for us to serve Him and let our families suffer in the process. You will know when your priorities are out of order when your wife and children begin to complain about your excessive absence. Your family is your FIRST ministry!
Subsequently, I will be sharing with you four voices you must be able to identify and understand as you launch into your ministry. Stay connected!