When it comes to how old you are, age really is just a number. In 2014, researchers at the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis published a study stating that there are a lot more factors that should go into determining age than how long you’ve been alive. There are plenty of super-simple things you can do to keep your complexion healthy and radiant regardless of what birthday you most recently celebrated.
1. Positive attitude. Various researches have shown that optimism increases good health. Start with positive self-talk: “I can handle this.” Try to avoid criticizing yourself!
2. Care for hands and feet. Exfoliate and then, before bed, mix avocado oil and primrose oil in equal parts, apply a few drops to hands and feet, cover with gloves and socks, and go to sleep.
3. Whiten your teeth. Try whitening strips while reading a book before you doze off.
4. Sleep. Get at least eight hours of sleep. Try to go to bed before 10 p.m. Tip: Listen to calming music for 45 minutes before bedtime. (I’ve heard of a study showing that music helped elderly folks sleep longer and feel less tired the next day. This may be because music decreases a key stress hormone in the body.)
5. De-puff. Cut back on white flour and sugar for 24 hours. Refined carbs cause your body to retain water, making your face “puffy.”
6. Pimple zapper. Blend one packet of brewers yeast and a few drops of lemon juice and apply as a mask before bed. As the mixture hardens, it pushes away debris clogging your pores.
7. Throw on another pillow. Fifteen minutes before rising from bed in the morning, place an extra pillow under your head. This will help de-puff your eyes.
8. Cut down on salt. Salt makes you retain water. Avoid fast foods and switch to Spice Hunters, my favorite spices. My mom is now also a believer in these tasty salt-free spices. (Those with high blood pressure should only have 250mg a day; the average person, 3,000mg or less. If you are active and sweat a lot, you may need more.)
9. Pray. Thank God for everything before bed and before you get up. Be grateful!
10. Be joyful. A happy person looks younger because a smile sheds years.
11. Plump away your wrinkles. Drink eight to ten glasses of water with lemon a day. Your skin will be more hydrated and the appearance of wrinkles less pronounced, while lemon helps with digestion. (Tip, squeeze some lemon on a cotton ball, and pat around eye, this helps to exfoliate as well—be careful of eye area).
12. Avoid sugar. It dries out your skin and promotes wrinkles.
13. Choose an herbal coffee instead of a regular cup of joe. In a coffee/tea press, make Teeccino Vanilla Nut caffeine-free herbal coffee, then mix with unsweetened vanilla almond milk, half a drop of Pure Inventions vanilla cocoa, and 1/2 tsp Xylitol—or add a little organic half-and-half (it’s a vanilla-cocoa delight!).
When all else fails, live by what Jesus said in Matthew 6:34, You’ve got enough problems for today, so don’t worry about tomorrow.