Office Etiquette or Office Manners is about conducting yourself respectfully and courteously in the office or workplace.
The essence of good manners and etiquette is to be respectful and courteous at all times and with everybody. Therefore, treat your co-workers, cleaners, maintenance people and others with respect and courtesy. Say, “Please; Thank you; You’re welcome”, as part of your everyday courtesy
Good office etiquette is easily achieved by using common courtesy as a matter of course
- First impressions are important! You are the ambassador/s of the business
- Always act with honesty and dignity.
- Chewing gum and popping bubble gum in the presence of co-workers is neither cool nor dignified. Never do it whilst attending customers.
- Wear appropriate office attire and shoes.
- No exposed midriff to display tattoos and body piercing.
- Be neat, clean and as conservative as the business requires you to be.
- We are put off by smelly people. So, be sure to shower regularly and use a suitable deodorant.
- Do not cough or sneeze in anyone’s direction. Use a tissue, if possible, to contain the germs and then say “Excuse me”
- Keep your interruptions of others to a minimum and always apologise if your intrusion is an interruption of a discussion, someone’s concentration or other activity
- Show respect for each other’s workspace. Knock before entering.
- Show appreciation for the slightest courtesies extended to you.
- Be helpful and co-operative with each other.
- Be discreet and compassionate in your criticism of a co-worker
- Don’t gossip about any co-worker’s private life.