When we’ve spent time seeking the Lord to break bondages off people’s lives, to lighten their heavy burdens, and to see the oppressed go free, God rewards our efforts in a mighty way. Not only can we count on Him to work miracles in the lives of others, but if we’ll keep our hearts right through our fast as outlined in the previous chapter, He tells us what He wants to do for our efforts on behalf of others:
1. “Then your light shall break forth like the morning [you can receive the guidance and direction you need],
2. “your healing shall spring forth speedily,
3. “and your righteousness shall go before you [our right standing with God is evident to all around us];
4. “The glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard” (v. 8). If things have been dry, fast for a day or two and the glory of God will show up!
5. “Then you shall call, and the Lord will answer; you shall cry, and He will say, ‘Here I am’” (v. 9). God will show up when He finds someone who is seriously seeking Him. Just in case we forgot how important our attitudes are in fasting, He reminds us again: “If you take away the yoke from your midst, the pointing of the finger, and speaking wickedness, if you extend your soul to the hungry and satisfy the afflicted soul” (vv. 9-10). [Get rid of the trash talk, the slander or gossip, and critical words towards others, and begin to feed the hungry and care for the destitute. You won’t have time to be judgmental towards others when you are moving in compassion to change lives.]
6. “Then your light shall dawn in the darkness, and your darkness shall be as the noonday.
7. “The Lord will guide you continually,
8. “and satisfy your soul in drought,
9. “and strengthen your bones;
10. “you shall be like a watered garden,
11. “and like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail.
12. “Those from among you shall build the old waste places;
13. “you shall raise up the foundations of many generations;
14. “and you shall be called the Repairer of the Breach, The Restorer of the Streets to Dwell In” (vv. 10-12).
These are promises full of power! God wants to bless our lives and the people around us. Fasting and prayer is one way that He can bring that about.
-Fasting and Prayer