“And he (God) hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the Lord.” – Psalm 40:3
Gospel music or song is one of the ministries the Lord has blessed the body of Christ with. It enables us to express our emotions and pour out our hearts to God in words.
Unfortunately, many contemporary gospel songs are not inspired by the Holy Spirit. This is because some people enter into this ministry not because they have been called, but for their own selfish reasons. Mostly, these songs are characterized by what God should do for them or how life has been miserable for them.
How can you identify whether a song is from God or not? David gives us some powerful keys to determine. Let’s examine them.
- A song from the Holy Spirit brings praise to God. “…Even PRAISE unto our God…”
- A song from God impacts many lives positively. “…MANY shall see it…”
- A song from God can be seen or discerned by others. “…MANY shall SEE it…”
- A true song from the Holy Spirit causes people to fear or obey God. “…Many shall see it, and FEAR…
- Finally, a true song from the Holy Spirit causes people to TRUST in God and not themselves. “…Many shall TRUST in the Lord.”
If a gospel music doesn’t lead people to God, I doubt its source.