Wondering what Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) is? It is a condition that affects every one both young and old. In children, it is considered life-threatening as a result of its effect on the child.
When your child’s breathing pauses for a period of time during sleep. It is considered as Sleep Apnea. This health condition causes your child’s oxygen level to fall when the upper airways of the body is blocked. It denies your child ample rest and relaxation. And also affects your child’s behavior, learning, growth and development.
CAUSES OF SLEEP APNEA IN KIDS
- Over weight
- Enlarged tonsils (tissues at the back of theh nasal cavity that fight germs)
- Ruining in the family bloodline
- Problem with the moth, jaw or throat structure.
- An unusually large tongue and neck
- Suffering from Down syndrome
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS IN CHILDREN
- Heavy breathing while sleeping
- Snoring, snorting and sometimes gasping
- High blood pressure
- Highly depressed
- Very dull during the day or inactive at school
- Unusual behavioral changes
- Difficulty sleeping
- Difficulty waking up in the morning
If your child is experiencing most of these signs and symptoms, make sure you visit a health specialist to examine him or her. Because it may be something else going on in your child’s body that is affecting his or her sleep.